Title: Intro to MSE - Polymers
Contributor: Kathleen Kitto , Professor Emeritus, Engineering and Design Department, Western Washington University
Published Date: 7/31/2018
Content Type: Datavis_project
This DataVis project is part of a series of 10 projects designed for an Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering course. Students should download the project document below and then access the project in DataVis to complete the project.
This project focuses on the Material Classification of Polymers. In this project, some Physical and Mechanical Properties of commonly used Polymers are explored.
The student learning outcomes for this project are as follows:
1. Students will understand the range of Tensile Strengths for common engineering Polymers within DataVis as compared to other Material Classifications.
2. Students will understand the differences in properties of Thermoplastics and Thermosetting Polymers.
3. Students will compare the Elastic Modulus in Tension of Polymers to other materials to understand the differences among Material Classifications as well as differences among Polymer types.
4. Students will understand the differences in properties of Polymers using scatter plots of Tensile Strength, Specific Gravity, and Elastic Modulus in Tension.
5. Students will understand the difference between Fracture Toughness and Elongation for Polymers.
6. Students will be able to select optimal polymeric materials for packaging different types of products using the explorations in this project.